I need help preparing my video!
Contact WiSPP Project Officer, Alice Tinning for advice on resources you can access in your institute:
I need help preparing my pitch!
How do you interest an investor or a philanthropist in funding your research? The Perfect Pitch will help to get you there. It is a brief, persuasive speech that you use to spark interest in your project, an idea, a product – or in yourself. It is an ice breaker that will invite interest and leave the listener wanting more. You can google “elevator pitch” and recover hundreds of pages of information. But to be succinct, here is what you need to do.
- Engage your audience – perhaps start with a question, or a statement on a problem that your audience will understand and can relate to.
- Start at the end – what problem will you solve – what product will you create
- Briefly – and without jargon, explain how you are approaching the problem
- Point out what makes your work unique
- Tell them what you need from them. Are you looking for funding support/access to expertise?
- Practice – don’t use notes
And then remember all these C’s
You can read more about science–specific pitches here:
But it’s best to watch and learn – see some great examples of pitches from across the world here: